Wednesday, November 7, 2007

R. Crumb

So, yet again I am admitting my ignorance, but when I saw the reference to R. Crumb on this week's "daily" (ahem), I wondered, "Hmm...who is that guy? Must be a blogger." Wrong!

Robert Crumb is a famous illustrator who created the illustration above in 1968 for the first issue of Zap Comix (so says wikipedia).

I found a website for the artist, and he is still up to his illustrating tricks. In fact, he is working on an illustration of the Book of Genesis, although he is taking a short sabbatical at the moment.

Although we have been warned that wikipedia is a sub-par reference for academic projects, the blogging world is not bound by such restrictions. Here is a brief boilerplate of the famous "Keep on Truckin'" cartoon:

"Keep on Truckin'" is a one-page comic by Robert Crumb. It was published in the first issue of Zap Comix in 1968. A visual riff on the lyrics of the Blind Boy Fuller song "Truckin' My Blues Away", it shows an assortment of smiling cartoon men drawn in Crumb's distinctive style strutting confidently across an urban landscape. The strip's drawings became iconic images of optimism during the hippie era. Like most underground comics "Keep on Truckin'" was not copyrighted, and its drawings have been widely reproduced on T-shirts, posters, and other items.

In case you are interested in listening to the song, I found this acoustic guitar version on youtube, unfortunately, there are no lyrics (www.youtube.com/watch?v=NksMOYgatRk).

And, just to be well-rounded in my e-sourcing, here is the official R. Crumb website (http://www.crumbproducts.com/). Go crazy!

2 comments:

Dave The Game said...

He also appears in American Splendor, a movie I highly recommend!

Rieko said...

Thank you for researching the illustration. I was wondering who he is when I saw our daily, but I did not have an opportunity to look him up. I like his illustration and hope to see more his works when I have time.