Monday, March 2, 2009

Righting Wrong Writing

Once, when asked what my pet peeve was, I responded, "Typos on billboards and signs." If typos are annoying in small print, obviously, increasing the point size and displaying them for the world to see only exacerbates the pain.

Well, today I discovered that not only do others feel my pain, there is a vigilante group dedicated to righting the offenses. The Typo Eradication Advancement League (TEAL), founded by fedora-donning Jeff Deck sometime between 2007 and 2008 (I could not find the exact date) exists to seek out these glaring errors and correct them.

Last year, Deck traveled across the country, conducting the 2008 Typo Hunt Across America.

Usually, TEAL attempts to gain permission to correct signage, but they have had at least one run-in with the law over editing a historic marker in a national park.

Reader's Digest ran a feature on TEAL in this month's issue.

No comments: