Friday, September 28, 2007

drinking and designing: crit experience

So, I'm not sure how everyone else felt after class last weekend, but by the time I reached my car, I realized that I really wanted a beer. Whew! Crit can be tense and draining.

While, I agreed with many of the opinions expressed concerning my comp, I must admit they did not exactly exhilarate me.

But, after revising my work this week, I am thankful for the crit experience.

As a designer, (which I seem to be slowly becoming) I have an idea, and I want it to work. So, I set about making it work. At some point, I need to distance myself from the piece and determine whether the idea actually carries through effectively.

At this point, the input of others and "fresh eyes" are extremely helpful to add perspective.

Looking at my two versions of project one, the difference is obvious. In fact, I am almost embarrassed by the first attempt.

It was very difficult to revise this piece: difficult to let go of a neat idea that wasn't working, and difficult to let go of elements that took hours to create.

But, ultimately, it is worth the pain if the final product appeals more than the draft.

So, here we are at the end of our first project, and I am already learning my way through the design process. I just hope this class doesn't drive me to drink.

3 comments:

michelle said...

Oh Laura, SWEET LAURA,
I think i found my soulmate in you! Although this blog may be open to the public I thought I'd extend the offer anyway...if you EVER need a drinking partner I am your girl! To be completely honest--not even 20 minutes go by after class before I crack open my first beer (or first bottle of champagne..I'm not classy, I just like mimosas). Let's be serious, spending 8 hours (a lot more for me) on a project filled with heart and soul is very exhausting. What's more exhausting? Getting told you need to re-do it all. I'm not complaining. I have always been a believer in constructive criticism. But somehow, I always need to drink myself into oblivion to keep up the creativity. This is not my own intervention--I just like that someone else can appreciate how hard this class is for some people. Cheers!

Laura M said...

Yes, I am definitely planning an after-class happy hour for December 15th! Thanks for commiserating.

Bobby G said...

Reading your entry here reminded me of some words of wisdom I always keep in mind. I'll share.

1. In art nothing happens by mistake.

(meaning that stroke of genius in your work didn't happen by mistake, your subconscious brought it forth, take credit for it)

2. You will never become a better artist, but the more you practice the quicker you will realize your mistakes.

(you only have the talent you are born with but the longer you work with art the more refined and exposed you talent will become and before long you will kick-ass)

By the way, I crack open a cold one as soon as I get home from class, it is a must.