Thursday, September 20, 2007

mass transit musings

You never know what to expect setting foot on a mass transit vehicle. Novellists sometimes muse on the private lives of each member of society united for a few minutes each day to travel in the same direction, before diverging. The fascination is assisted by the usual economic status of young impressionable writers. Traveling daily by bus or train while most of the US zooms past on solitary treks in their family sedans gives writers time to contemplate. Driving does not occupy their thoughts, and they begin to wonder about their surroundings: the houses, the shops, the people who live there, fellow passengers, and often, the bus driver.

Popping across town to work or campus on the bus and the light rail, I have met a few interesting characters myself. The alcoholic, the mother with three well-behaved kids in tow, the opinionated boor, the potty-mouth, the hack, the gossiping biddies, the primper, the workaholic, the music enthusiast, the juror, the grandfather, all have shared a ride with me.

To prevent my own mind-wandering doldrums, I usually tote some reading material along for the ride. Since my life is now consumed with course work. My textbooks have joined me in my daily commute.

On Monday, we had a corporate picnic, and left work early, so I light-railed it up to campus to work in the graphics lab. Mid-day mass transit is always more amusing than rush-hour bus riding. The trains were packed (why was no one working?) so I sat next to another rider and opened Seeing & Writing. My companion dozed for a few moments, but was soon peeking over my shoulder. “Are you in advertising?” he asked. Thus a conversation began. I’m sure this man and I have many differences in our lives, but we conversed briefly, he wished me, “Good luck in your endeavor,” and I read a few more pages before bidding him a good day at my stop.

Hale has also been traveling with me (more than the McQuades, because her girth is less). I have noticed a few odd glances from passengers who see me actually smiling, while intaking material with Pronouns stylistically positioned in the margins. Oh well, I know I’ve seen stranger things riding the bus.

No comments: