Sunday, September 16, 2007

Inspiration Show and Tell

Here are two pieces that inspire me, both because of the words and the writers:

1. "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -- Mark Twain

I enjoy this quip. It's direct, it's clever, and it illustrates his point well. I can always use a reminder of the importance of word choice.

2.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our Light, not our Darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves...Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you NOT to be?
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automically liberates others."
from Nelson Mandela's inaugural address, 1994

Nelson Mandela inspires me. I read his autobiography Long Walk to Freedom about five years ago. It is a lengthy book, but worth every page. Mandela fought to uphold his ideals and remain true to his beliefs despite years of hardship and imprisonment. This passage from his inaugural address is particularly meaningful to me. I first received it from a friend who thought of me when he read it. It is the message behind the words in this passage that affect me the most, but also from a literary perspective, the balance in the last few lines is very appealing. All in all, I find it absolutely beautiful and it is one of my favorite excerpts.

No comments: